- Limit boxes, when possible, to a maximum weight of 50 pounds.
- Wrap items carefully.
- Provide plenty of cushioning to absorb shock.
- Use sturdy boxes that close.
- Make sure boxes do not bend or bulge.
- Keep items in the same room together.
The Basics of Packing
- Start with out-of-season items. Next, pack things that are not used often. Lastly, pack the things you’ll need until moving day.
- Empty drawers of breakables or anything that would puncture or damage other items. However, blankets, clothing, towels and similar soft items may be left in drawers.
- Pack similar items together.
- Wind electrical cords, fastening them so they do not dangle.
- Wrap items individually in clean paper; use a double layer of newspaper for a good outer wrapping.
- Place a 3 inch layer of crushed paper in the bottom of a carton.
- Heavy items on bottom, light items on top.
- Pack small, fragile, individually wrapped items separately or a few together in small boxes, cushioning with crushed or shredded paper.
- Place small boxes in a single large box, filling in spaces with crushed paper.
- Avoid overloading cartons, but strive for a firm pack that will prevent items from shifting; the cover should close easily without force, but should not bend inward.
- Seal cartons tightly with tape except for those containing items listed on United’s High-Value Inventory form. These must be left open for the van operator’s inspection.
- As you finish with each carton, list the contents on the side of the carton (for easy viewing while cartons are stacked) and in a special notebook. You might want to number and/or code the cartons as well.
- Indicate your last name and the room to which each carton should be delivered at destination.
- Tape a sign on the door of each room at destination corresponding to the carton labels so movers can get the cartons into the proper rooms quickly. Put a special mark on cartons you want to unpack first at destination.
Request Your Free Estimate Today
Safety is our #1 Priority!
We now offer virtual surveys to our customers so you can receive a quote while practicing social distancing.
MOVING TIPS & INFORMATION
With thousands of moving companies in the United States, it can be difficult to know which mover is the best fit for you. To ensure you will receive the best service and value for your relocation, check out these tips on how to choose a moving company.
If finding a roommate is on your to-do list for 2021, we are here to help! Searching for the perfect roommate can be stressful. It is important to find someone who is not only reliable and financially stable, but also someone who can become a great friend. Check out...
If you are planning a move during the holiday season, it is important that your holiday decorations are packed and cared for properly throughout the entire move. Once you get settled at your destination, you and your family will want to put up your holiday decorations...
Get Moving Today.
Fry-Wagner's team of specialists are excited to assist you with all your relocation or logistics needs.