Are you planning to relocate your office, but confused on where to start? Begin any move process by developing a checklist to help stay organized and on-schedule. Below you will find our office moving tips to help make your relocation a stress-free transition.
6 Months Before Move Day
- Get Quotes from Commercial Relocation Companies: Contact your friends at Fry-Wagner to set up your free, no obligation, on-site estimate.
- Set a Budget: It is important to know your relocation budget to prevent overspending. This will allow you to determine which services fit both your budget and your needs for moving day.
- Assign a Planning Team: Designate one or more people to be a point of contact for your organization throughout the entire move process. This team will be responsible for handling all the details throughout your move.
3-4 Months Before Move Day
- Plan the Logistics of your Move: Reserve your move date with your moving company. Discuss all services that will be needed like packing, storage, installation, etc.
- Communicate with all Individuals about the Move: Communicate with your planning team to ensure that all facets of the move are in place and have been confirmed with the moving company. Assign specific responsibilities to these team members if needed. Hold a meeting with all staff to let them know about the move and the procedures that will be taking place prior to, during, and after the move.
- Plan Ahead: Make a list of any pieces of furniture or equipment that may require specialized handling throughout the move. Discuss these items with your relocation company and determine how the items will be handled on move day.
2 Months Before your Move
- Configure a Layout: Outline your new office layout by surveying and reconfiguring all the furniture, fixtures, and electronic equipment that will need to fit into your new space.
- Arrange IT Installation: Communicate with your current phone and internet providers to schedule a time to activate all your services. Communicate with your IT team to confirm if they need assistance with disconnecting/reconnecting before and after the move.
- Discontinue/Arrange Other Services: Communicate with you lawncare provider, security team, cleaning services, utilities etc. to let them know about your move.
- Consider Storage Options: Will all your furniture and equipment fit in your new space? If not, you may want to consider storage. Fry-Wagner is happy to assist with all your storage needs. Ask about our records storage services for all your archived files.
One Month Before your Move
- Take Inventory: Make a detailed itemized inventory list of all your furniture, equipment, and office supplies. This includes anything from desks, plaques, and awards, to notebooks and folders.
- Update your Address: Contact all your customers, vendors, and partners to notify them of your change of address. Update all your company address listings online and in the Yellow Pages. Some important sites to consider are Google, Social Media Pages, Yelp, Review Sites, etc.
- Secure Necessary Permits: Follow up with your building and city to see if any permits are required on move day. Call your new landlord to determine if your employees will need parking passes at the new building.
2 Weeks Before Move Day
- Confirm your Move: Contact your moving company to ensure that all services are set for move day. Ask any outstanding questions you may have, and make sure your Planning Team is on board and available on move day.
- Condense your Inventory: Go through the inventory list you made a few weeks prior and determine if any items on that list could be disposed of or donated. Fry-Wagner will dispose of any unwanted items, recycling and repurposing furniture and electronics, keeping them out of landfills to continue our effort in making our planet a healthier place to live.
1 Week Before Move Day
- Survey your new Building: Make a trip to your new building and inspect the space to ensure that everything is in working order for move day.
- Know your Move Day Plan: Go over your move day strategy with your Planning Team and confirm any last-minute details with both your team and your moving company.
- Tell Employees to Pack: Remind all your employees to pack up their personal belongings. Fry-Wagner is happy to provide boxes and packing materials for all your employees.
Move Day: Origin
- Ensure that Utilities are Connected: It is important that the lights, water, air conditioning, and heat are still in working order for your movers.
- Supervise your Movers: Your Planning Team, or a handful of trusted individuals, should be present throughout the entire process. It is important to have someone readily available to direct your movers and answer any questions they may have about what needs to be loaded onto the truck, disposed of, or handled with special care.
- Do a Final Walk-Through: Assign one person to do a final walk-through with the lead on your crew to ensure that nothing was missed, and that no property damage has occurred. Point out any damage to your crew lead and confirm that it has been indicated on the moving company’s paperwork.
Move Day: Destination
- Ensure that Utilities are Connected: It is important that the lights, water, air conditioning, and heat are on at destination.
- Set up your Office: Use the blueprint or outline that your Planning Team created to direct your movers, so they place all furniture in the correct spaces. Assign one person to evaluate your personal inventory list and have them check off each item that comes off the truck.
- IT Reconnect: Once workspaces are set up, move in any electronics that need to be reconnected. This will be one of the most time-consuming tasks, so it is important to get started as soon as possible.
- Do a Final Walk-Through: Assign one person to do a final walk-through with the lead on your crew to ensure that nothing was missed and that no property or furniture damage has occurred. Point out any damage to your lead and confirm that it has been indicated on the moving company’s paperwork.
If you are planning an office move, partner with Fry-Wagner Relocation & Logistics. We are here to help you every step of the way, so you have more time to care for your company and your team. Contact Fry-Wagner today to learn more about the office moving process!