Planning a move during the holidays is no easy task. There is so much going on during the holiday season, that it can be difficult to stay organized and keep your sanity during the move. At Fry-Wagner, we want to make sure that you are prepared for moving to alleviate any additional stress during the holidays, so you can keep your holiday spirit throughout the season! Below you will find a complete survival guide for moving during the holidays.
- De-Clutter and Organize: The first step when planning a move is to get rid of all unnecessary items that you no longer need. This is the perfect time of the year to donate to those who are less fortunate, so consider donating your unwanted items to a good cause or organization. This makes packing a lot easier and will reduce your moving costs.
- Keep Track of Your Gifts: If you have gifts already purchased, the easiest thing to do is wrap them, place them in trash bags, and transport them yourself during the move. This ensures that your gifts are accounted for and are handled with your direct care. In order to make sure your gifts don’t get mixed up with other items during move-in day, label the bag you have placed them in and put them either in your bedroom or another room where they can be easily located.
- House Hop: If you traditionally host your family’s holiday gatherings, ask other family members if they would host this year. There is no need to overwork yourself by trying to unpack and organize your home, decorate your home for the holidays, plan a huge meal, and do all of the cleanup after your guests leave. It is best for you to take your holiday to relax and enjoy time with loved ones away from the chaos of your move.
- Try not to be a Grinch: The holiday season tends to either bring out the best or the worst in us. If you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed about your move, it is easy to feel a bit Bah Humbug about the holiday season. Try your best to keep your holiday spirit alive despite all the stress you may be feeling.
- Keep Traditions: One of the best things about the holidays is celebrating family traditions. It can be hard to keep your traditions going when most of your home is in boxes. Instead of packing away everything, leave a few important items out that have special meaning to your family during the holiday season. Consider bringing these sentimental items with your personal items during the move, so you can brighten up your new home on move-in day.
- Say No: During the holidays there are so many events to attend such as church functions, holiday parties, charity events, etc. Just remember that it is absolutely okay to say no! Planning a move takes up a lot of time, and others will understand if you can’t make it to every gathering. Pick and choose events that work best with your schedule, and please do not feel guilty for not attending all of them!
- Don’t Forget about the Kids: This is the most magical time of the year for children, and they may not understand that most of their holiday festivities might be put on hold due to the move. Let them know that even though you are moving to a new home, the holiday celebrations will still happen (even if they have to be postponed a few days). If you are traveling on a holiday, have a special gift for your child to open or plan a new family tradition, so they don’t feel left out.
Moving during the holiday season doesn’t have to be so stressful! You can still enjoy time with family and friends and celebrate the season. To make your move even easier, contact Fry-Wagner to assist you with your move. We can help you plan, coordinate, and execute your residential move with ease. Contact us today for a free no obligation move estimate!